Hello Assumption Families,
Welcome back to a brand new school year! On behalf of our staff at Assumption Catholic Secondary school, our administrative team would like to welcome all of our new and returning students to our school this September. This re-opening is doubly exciting, as our students are returning after a long hiatus.
We know that the return to school this year will continue to be a different experience with evolving safety measures as we continue to battle COVID 19. We are working hard to provide a safe re-entry in September that supports our students, academic, physical, and social/emotional needs.
Please read this email and the attachments carefully as they provide specific, detailed information on our re-opening.
As you received in an email dated August 31, 2021, HCDSB has moved to a staggered start for the 2021/2022 school year.
Students with surnames beginning from A-K will attend school in person on September 7, 2021 and remain home on September 8, 2021.
Students with surnames beginning L-Z will remain home on Tuesday September 7, 2021 and will attend school on Wednesday September 8, 2021. Those who have chosen virtual learning, will be online both days.
In addition to the attached Student Covid Protocol, to help get the new school year off to a positive start, we wish to share the following important information:
- Students will be able to access their schedules after 3:00 PM today, Friday September 3.
- Students will be able to access their timetable using their Office 365 email and password. Their OEN number is not required. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
- If your family is new to HCDSB, your child(ren) will not yet have an Office 365 email. In this case, students are asked to contact the school for their timetable on Friday, September 3rd (905) 634-1835. For students unable to access, a printed copy of schedules will be available outside the front of the school on Tuesday morning.
- Assumption’s daily school schedule has been adjusted to accommodate the new quadmester schedule for students. Students will be in school all day, everyday, and there is no longer any Virtual Academic Support. (See the attached schedule for school hours). Please note that the school building will not be open for students to enter until 8:05 am.
- Assumption is no longer divided into zones. Students will enter and exit the school building in the door closest to their classroom. Students will also access the washroom closest to their classroom. Please see school map for more information.
***Grade 9 students will be met by their teacher at the back of the school on their first day (either Tuesday September 7th or Wednesday September 8th) as part of our “Welcome Week.” A school tour will be provided prior to heading to period 1 classes.
- Students will have access to assigned lockers this year. Students will be required to provide their own lock. Having said that, students will not be allowed to congregate in the hallways and it is suggested to bring only the items they need to school every day. Backpacks will not be permitted in classrooms. Students are encouraged to bring a refillable water bottle with them daily as access to water fountains will be restricted to bottle filling stations. Peanut/nut free snacks are also permitted.
- Students’ lunch periods will be divided by the grade of their period two course. (Students who are in a split class, will be provided their lunch period by their classroom teacher on the first day of school). We understand that students may prefer to eat their lunch outside of the building or off site; students are not required to remain on school property during their lunch break. Students remaining in the school building will have lunch in the cafeteria, 2 people to a table with 6ft of space between each individual student. Please see the 2020/2021 daily schedule for lunch times.
- Students will not be allowed to congregate in the building outside of their class cohort, and we request that all students physically distance promptly once entering and exiting the school building. Social distancing practices must be adhered to throughout the school building. Students are requested to follow maximum capacity signage located outside of shared spaces, and markings present throughout the building.
- Due to physical distancing restrictions, assemblies, presentations and liturgies will be held virtually.
- Assumption will be holding a “New To U” uniform sale in the upcoming weeks, more information to follow.
- We are committed and focused on RE-building, RE-engaging & RE-energizing our school community as we begin our return to a robust student life! One key way we support this is through the use of funds raised with Student Activity Fee. If you have not had the opportunity to pay this, please do so through School Cash Online. Also found on School Cash Online is our Crusader’s Care Initiative 2021, a $10 per semester donation which support our own Assumption student community. This donation allows students to participate in civvies days throughout the school year as we support charities in the Burlington community.
We will continue to share information about policies, procedures and protocols with you as we receive them. Students and Parents/Guardians are invited to download the My School Day App to stay informed of the happenings at Assumption. This app functions as a virtual student agenda and is linked to our school website and social media accounts. Please also refer to the HCDSB Re-opening of School Plan posted on our Assumption and School Board websites and follow our social media for up to date information.
The Assumption Staff is excited to see all of you!
The Admin Team