Below are a list of questions that the Student Services department have been asked to address. Unfortunately, some of these questions have yet to be answered because we are waiting on direction and guidance from the HCDSB. We will be adding these responses to our FAQ’s as information is received.
For ALL students.
- What is “Distance Learning” and what are some of my responsibilities around that form of curriculum delivery? (LINK)
- I’m a Grade 12 student looking to drop a class I am currently enrolled in. How do I make this course change? Click on this LINK and carefully follow the instructions given.
- Will summer school courses still be running? If so, when and how do I register? For all summer school information, please visit the Thomas Merton website. Please keep in mind that students that would like to change courses for 2020-2021 as a result of their summer school decision, will have to visit Student Services D2L page to make any changes.
- Will I still earn my SHSM if I can’t complete all my certifications this year? Yes. Graduating students will not have their graduation or progression impacted by the developments surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic. Graduating students in the SHSM program unable to complete their SHSM requirements due to COVID-19 will be supported. Please contact your SHSM program lead teacher if you have any questions.
- Can I still be successful in a prerequisite course I am currently enrolled in that is needed for next year, if I’ve missed several weeks? The HCDSB is in the process of preparing Distance Learning for our Students. Teachers will be in contact with you or you can contact your teacher via email for more instruction. Students are expected to participate daily in Distance Learning as assessments and evaluations will be taking place and lessons will be taught through one of the Distance Learning platforms used by your classroom teacher: D2L, Office365, Google Classroom.
- I’m currently taking a night school course through our school board. When will it resume? Night School courses continue to proceed by enhanced distance learning through Google Classroom and other Learning management systems. For the time being, night school is scheduled for completion on June 15, 2020. Please see the Thomas Merton website https://merton.hcdsb.org/ for more information
- If I’m not writing the OSSLT this year due to school closures, will I be writing it next year? Yes. The Ministry of Education has announced that they will be cancelling EQAO assessments for the remainder of this school year 2019-20. As such, the literacy graduation requirement (OSSLT/OSSLC) for students who are graduating in the 2019-20 school year will be waived. Students who are not graduating this school year will write the OSSLT in the upcoming 2020-21 school year.
- Can I still apply for scholarships while schools are closed? YES! We encourage you to do so! Please check the Scholarship Page of the BR website, Twitter, and myschoolday notifications for upcoming scholarship opportunities.
- I’m applying for a scholarship. How do I go about getting a transcript? Click the following link to request an official transcript. https://forms.gle/EuMX1At1BKoF2hdA6
- I’m applying for an online course with another school board OR private school. How do I go about getting a transcript/Credit Counselling Summary? Click the following link to request an official transcript. https://forms.gle/EuMX1At1BKoF2hdA6
- I’m a current Gr. 9, 10, or 11 student and I’d like to change a course I selected for next year. How do I make a course change (elective, compulsory, level, etc.)? Click on this LINK and carefully follow the instructions given.
- I’m a current Gr. 9, 10, or 11 student and I’ve completed some community service hours. How do I submit them to my counsellor? Please hold on to your HCDSB community service form (and letter from sponsor if you completed 40+ hours at the same place) until we are back at school. Then you may submit them to Student Services before school, during your lunch, or after school.
For GRADUATING students.
- I’ve completed my community service hours. How can I hand them in? Please pdf a copy of your completed community hours form (and letter from your sponsor if submitting more than 40 hours from one place) to Mr. LoPresti at: email@example.com . Also, “cc” your counsellor as well.
- I haven’t completed my community service hours. Will I still be eligible to graduate? The graduation requirement to complete 40 hours of community involvement is suspended for this school year
- Will midterm reports be postponed? Teachers of graduating students will be expected to provide marks for graduating students by April 23rd on work completed by that time, in order to meet admission requirements for post-secondary education. Final report cards with marks will also be issued.
- Will this impact college and university applications? Discussions are being held with colleges and universities about the adaptations required to support the admission process for students applying for post-secondary education, and further information will be provided.
- Will I still graduate with a SHSM red seal diploma if I can’t complete all of my certifications this year? Yes. The SHSM red seal diploma will still be granted for current Gr. 12 students who are on track to graduate but may not have earned all of their certifications due to the COVID-19 school closures. Please note that some outstanding certifications may be offered online. Please contact your SHSM lead teacher if you have any questions.
- I’m taking an online course through a private institution. Am I expected to keep working on course content? Please see the institution’s website for direction.
- I’m taking a night school course required for my University/College program. Will I be able to earn that credit or will I be in jeopardy of losing my offer? Please contact your university/college admissions office directly.
- Will students be at risk of not graduating? The Ministry of Education has indicated that no student who was on track to graduate will be at risk of not graduating due to the COVID-19 pandemic response.
Links (Pg 2) … FAQS (Pg 3) … Registration Package (Pg 4) … Contact (Pg 5) …
Key News (Pg 6) … Transcript Requests (Pg 7)