1. STUDENT TRUSTEE ON THE HALTON CATHOLIC DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD
It is the policy of the Board that the interests of pupils shall be directly represented on the Board. Accordingly, three student representatives (Student Trustees) shall be elected to the Board to participate at meetings of the Board and at meetings of committees of the Board in accordance with Ontario Regulation 461/97 and the Board’s Policy 1-26 and Administrative Procedure Vl-15.
2. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
Student candidates must meet the following requirements:
- active parish membership and regular mass attendance full time Catholic student in good standing
- must be a senior in Grade 11 by September 1st of the subsequent year
- submission of student candidate’s application to the Principal and to the President of the Student Council
One (1) school year (2021-2022)
4. SELECTION AND APPOINTMENT PROCESS:
The Board supports an open and democratic process for the election of up to three (3) students to represent the interests of pupils on the Board.
- Eligible students must submit their application to the Principal and the President of the Student Council.
- Student Council will interview eligible candidates and elect one student to be their school’s nominee.
- Each school’s nominee will submit the required information package and will be interviewed by the Student Senate who will elect up to three (3) student representatives
- It should be noted that Board Policy in this area stipulates that no two (2) student trustees shall be from the same municipality.
5. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BEING YOUR SCHOOL’S NOMINEE, YOU MUST SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION PACKAGE TO YOUR SCHOOL PRINCIPAL:
- a statement indicating the reasons you are seeking the position;
- a resume indicating relevant background information, interests, qualifications, experience and any concerns;
- a statement on any other information you may wish to include;
- a letter of support from the Principal;
- a letter of support from the Student Council; and
- a letter of support from your Parish Priest.
- Student applications must be submitted to their school Principal and President of Student Council by Thursday, January 7, 2021.
- Student Council elects its school’s nominee by Friday, January 15, 2021.
- Each school’s nominee submits her/his information package no later than Friday, January 22, 2021 to Mr. P. Daly, Director of Education, Halton Catholic District School Board, 802 Drury Lane, P.O. Box 5308, Burlington, ON L7R 2Y2.
- The Student Senate will interview each school’s nominee for the position of Student Trustee on Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at St. Ignatius of Loyola Catholic Secondary School, 1550 Nottinghill Gate, Oakville, and will vote on the successful candidate(s) to be appointed to the position(s) of Student Trustee for the 2020-2021 school year .
In the event that Public Health restrictions are still in effect for inside gatherings, elections will take place using the board-provided virtual meeting tool
7. TERM OF OFFICE, RECOGNITION AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF SERVICES:
Upon completion of their respective term of appointment, the Student Trustee(s) shall, subject to Board approval, be acknowledged for their service to the Board in the following manner:
- Provided with a letter of commendation signed by the Chair of the Board
- Awarded (individually) a bursary of $2,500.00 and/or other such forms of recognition or support as may be determined by the Board.
For further information, contact your school Principal and 1or Student Council President.