The Specialist High Skills Major is a program which gives students a focus in their senior high school years that leads to all post-secondary destinations (apprenticeship, college, university, and work). A student must take two Grade 11 and two Grade 12 courses in a specialized area, and a co-operative education course. It also involves contextualized units in Math and English where the focus is in the specific sector.
Students will also have the opportunity to explore experiential learning and reach ahead activities such as field trips, competitions, etc. At the conclusion of the program, students will receive a special Red Seal diploma and transcript as evidence of their completion of a Specialist High Skills Major. Check out http://www.haltonpathways.ca for more information.
Our school offers SHSM courses in the following sectors:
- Information & Communications Technology
- Fitness and Sports Leadership
SHSM: FITNESS and SPORTS LEADERSHIP
Click here for application form
Why complete a SHSM?
The Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) program in Sports Leadership, Fitness and Performance gives students an opportunity to specialize, gain qualifications, and plan a career pathway in various areas of the Sport sector while still in high school, while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). The SHSM enables students to gain the sector-identified preparatory credits, skills and knowledge, and make informed career decisions. This makes the learning environment more engaging for students, focuses them on graduation and prepares them to pursue their career goals.
The SHSM program has a number of required components, designed to help prepare the students for their post secondary Pathways. Components include:
- Bundled Credits: 4 major credits in grade 11 or 12, 3 supporting credits in the context of the sector
- Contextualized Learning Activities
- Certifications and Awareness Training (WHIMIS, FIRST AID/CPR, TAPING, COACHING…)
- Experiential Learning Opportunities
- Job-shadowing, job twinning, and work experience
- Minimum of 2 cooperative education credits linked to a major course
- Field trips, other workplace experienced for students to explore careers related to the sector
- Documentation of Essential Skills and Work Habits through the Ontario Skills Passport
- Reach Ahead Experiences: Visiting colleges and universities, dual credit programs…
The SHSM Experience
- Gain an awareness of career opportunities in the Sport sector
- Participate in workshops and sessions with industry professionals
- Incorporate treatment techniques for injury rehabilitation and prevention
- Learn a variety of kinesiology, sport medicine and athletic therapy applications
- Attain practical certifications in coaching, training and officiating
- Build their resume for job applications and post secondary applications
- Develop transferable skills compatible with multiple pathways to all post-secondary destinations
Mrs Sarah Johnston
Cooperative Education/Physical Education
Jean Vanier Catholic SS
1145 Bronte Street South
Milton, Ontario L9T 8B4
Specialist High Skills Majors (SHSM)