Every graduating student must complete a minimum of 40 community hours, as part of the requirements for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). The purpose of the community involvement requirement is to encourage students to develop awareness and understanding of civic responsibility, and the contributions they can make in supporting and strengthening their community.
If students complete hours outside of the school, they require a letter from their sponsor.
Community Service Letter Requirements
- Name of student – first and last name
- Name of organization – on organization letterhead is preferred
- Number of hours completed
- Detailed list of duties completed (ex. Sarah H completed 40 hours serving food for our veterans…)
- Contact information of organizer for follow up
- Volunteer Halton – Use the search engine on the Volunteer Halton Website to find community service activities that are right for you! SEARCH NOW!
- Holy Cross HELPS – contact Father Walter or Eileen Anderson at the parish office
- Me to We, Free the Children
- Habitat For Humanity Halton
- Holy Cross Parish – Many Opportunities including Vacation Bible School, contact Barb Boulanger at email@example.com for more information
- Volunteer Mission Trips (contact chaplain for more details)
- United Way of Halton and Hamilton
- Ontario Youth Volunteer Challenge – Change the World!
Please contact our school office directly if you have questions about community services hours and which activities are accepted.Community Service